(US shipment only, sorry)
4 CD box set by the renowned folk and rock fiddler. ONLY ONE LEFT IN STOCK
Here's the offical press info:
Forty Years of Folk's Finest Fiddler
Free Reed's intriguing new project by the "small but mighty" label: another great Box-Set!!
"Swarb!" A 4-CD career-spanning set featuring the life & music of Dave Swarbrick, "Folk's Finest Fiddler" - in a similar jaw-dropping box-set format to our Fairport set, with 4 themed CDs, a whopping Book, the essential input from 'Family Tree' maestro Pete Frame - oh, and the usual 'Free Reed Freebie' for early buyers.
Free Reed's Nigel Schofield has gained unparalleled access to Swarb's recorded and visual archives, and has already auditioned thousands of rare recordings and sifted through a mountain of scrapbooks, rare pictures and tall tales!
The set features a wealth of rare, unreleased and unavailable tracks from his entire career, and contains a unique "Swarb's Fiddle Tunebook" - a unique selection of his very best arrangements and compositions, which is being researched and compiled by Swarb's Fairport mate and Tull veteran Maart Allcock. And Neil Wayne also promises a few other surprises, both on and IN the box!!
4 Themed CDs
(track listings follw below)
CD1: D IS FOR DUO – A history of the many duos in which Swarb has performed, with his work in the 60s with Martin Carthy, with Simon Nicol in the 80s, and recently with Alistair Hulett and (again). with Martin Carthy - plus live gems and magical studio pairings with the likes of Bert Lloyd, Louis Killen and Peter Bellamy.
CD2: C IS FOR COLLABORATION - From the Campbells and Beryl Marriott’s Ceilidh bands, through Fairport Convention, Whippersnapper, Eureka! and Band of Hope, here's an overview of Swarb's key & crucial role in every group of which he's been a member.
CD3: E IS FOR EXTRAS - Rarities abound in this CD of recordings! We unearthed so many that were just too good to miss, so here you’ll find live versions of songs which put familiar studio recordings in the shade: familiar songs performed in wholly new settings (an acoustic Sloth for example) and knock-out material screaming to be given the light of day!
CD4: S IS FOR SWARB - Quite simply, the history of Swarb’s career through landmark performances and watershed recordings. From his early days as a session player and contributor to The Radio Ballads, through the invention of folk rock to the blue mountains of Australia and Orchard, here is as much of the very best of Swarb’s career as will fit on a 79-minute CD!
All in Free Reed's luxury big-box format containing:
* a big 128+ page booklet!! With discography, Nigel Schofield biography, reminiscences, many interviews, and a Swarb & Friends rare picture archive
* A fascinating series of Pete Frame's unique "Family Twigs" throughout the Book, recording aspects of Swarb's career to date
CD One: D is for Duo
Carthy, Nicol, Dempsey, Hulett…a quartet of duos which spans Swarb’s career. They began with a missing work permit and continue today in memorable gigs throughout the country. Here are classic performances and rare recordings of each of those duos – and many more besides – session work, less high-profile partnerships, overlooked live gigs. A chronological overview of Swarb’s performing partnerships.
1. Jack Orion: Bert Lloyd, First Person, Topic 12T 118, (1966) 4.02
2. Finale Medley: (Bottom o’ the Punchbowl/Swallowtail/The Mason’s Apron): with Martin Carthy, at The Troubadour, London, (1966). Swarbrick Archive 9.31
3. Our Captain cried all hands: with Martin Carthy, Byker Hill, Topic TSCD 342, (1967) 2.07
4. Streets of Forbes: with Trevor Lucas, The Great Australian Legend, Topic 12TS 203, (1971) 3.46
5. The Heilanman/Drowsy Maggie: with Beryl Marriott, Swarbrick, Transatlantic LP TRA 337, now on Sanctuary CD ESM CD 355, (1976) 2.48
6. The Lark in the clear air: with Savourna Stevenson, at Kirkcaldy Folk Club, Swarbrick Archive 5.18
7. Around Cape Horn: with Peter Bellamy, Both Sides Then, Topic 12 TS 400, (1979), (reissued on Fledg’ling CD FLE 1002) 2.34
8. 79th's farewell to Gibraltar/The Atholl Highlanders/The Devil Among The Tailors: with Simon Nicol, Live at the White Bear, Woodworm WRCD 028, (1982) 4.57
9. Pittengardner's/Floggin' Reel, with Simon Nicol, Folk City, New York, (1984). Ed Haber Archive 4.43
10. White Dress, with Ralph McTell, Ralph McTell Show, BBC, (1992) 3.17
11. The Pepperpot/Sailing into Walpole's Marsh/Bunker Hill, with Martin Carthy, Carson's Cincinnati, (1990) Swarbrick Archive 5.44
12. Mrs Bermingham/No. 178/Blind Mary, with Martin Carthy, Cropredy Festival, (1992). Swarbrick Archive 7.38
13. Days of 49, with Alistair Hulett, The Basement, (1996). Swarbrick Archive 3.22
14. Nathaniel Gow's Lament/Rory of the Hills, with Lars Kjaedegard, Brunskepakhus, Denmark, (1996). Swarbrick Archive 9.02
15. I Know my Love, with Kevin Dempsey, Fairport Tour, (2000). Swarbrick Archive 4.23
16. Byker Hill, with Martin Carthy, Carthy 60th Birthday Concert, Oxford, (2001) BBC/Smooth Operations 5.30
17. Banksie, with Kevin Dempsey, Haworth Folk Club, (2003). Swarbrick Archive 1.14
CD2: C is for Collaborations
The Ian Campbell Folk Group had a fiddler with the band: then they became the band with the fiddler. In chronological order, here are vintage vignettes from all the bands of which Swarb has been a full time member. A catalogue of classic collaborations.
1. The Bride's March from Unst - (The Bride’s March/The Keel Man’s Petition/Shew me the way to Wallingford/Sword Dance): with Beryl Marriott, Essex Festival, (1981), Swarbrick Archive 5.55
2. The Blind Man he Could See: Ian Campbell Folk Group, Across the Hills, Transatlantic LP TRA 110, (1964), re-issued on Sanctuary CD ESM CD 357 3.23
3. Tail Taddle: Ian Campbell Folk Group, Hullabaloo TV Show, (1965), Canal+ TV Archives 1.24
4. Tunes my mother taught me: Fairport Convention, BBC, (November 12th 1970), BBC Worldwide 4.21
5. Dirty Linen: Fairport Convention, live in Philadelphia, (1970), Swarbrick Archive 3.50
6. Me with you: Fairport Convention, Rosie sessions, (1973), Swarbrick Archive 3.27
7. Hexhamshire Lass: Fairport Convention, tbc, (1974), Swarbrick Archive 2.28
8. Rising for the moon: Fairport Convention, Rising for the Moon, Island (1975), IMCD 155 512 7572 4.06
9. Country Pie: Fairport Convention, La Trobe University, (1977), Swarbrick Archive, courtesy of Michael Hunter 3.03
10. Sword Dance/Young Black Cow: Fairport Convention with Richard & Linda Thompson, ‘Celebration’, Granada TV, (1981) 4.13
11. Brilliancy Medley/Cherokee Shuffle: Fairport Convention, Moat on the Ledge, Woodworm WR 001 (1982) 3.21
12. Boadicea: Dave Swarbrick, Flittin’, Spindrift SPIN 001(1981), then Raven CD RVCD 54 (1996) 2.08
13. Carolanning – (Mrs Bermingham, Mrs Maxwell, John Jameson): Whippersnapper, Burnt Post, Coventry, (1983), Swarbrick Archive 4.52
14. Farewell Lovely Nancy: Whippersnapper, Cropredy Festival (1985), Swarbrick Archive, courtesy Woodworm Records 4.31
15. Hen’s March: Whippersnapper, Třnder Festival, Denmark, (1987), Swarbrick Archive 3.27
16. Waltzing’s for Dreamers: Keith Hancock Band, Southport Festival, (1991),Swarbrick Archive 3.56
17. Nonesuch Medley: Band of Hope, Live recording, (1994), Swarbrick Archive 4.26
18. Mad about you/Siege of Sydney Streets: Eureka! With Dave Swarbrick, Jamming with Gypsy, (1997), Word of Mouth WMCD02 5.24
19. Fiddlestix: Fairport Convention, The Cropredy Box, (1997), Woodworm WR3CD06 3.03
CD Three: E is for Extras
Extra-curricular activities, Swarb’s earliest vinyl appearance, and essential eccentricities all come together on this CD of recordings we uncovered, and which were too good and too unusual to be ignored. The rarity and uniqueness of these sixteen recordings means that the recording quality may vary somewhat, but the performance is consistently high. Here is Swarb stepping centre-stage to fill Sandy Denny’s shoes, playing a triumphant final track at Whippersnapper’s debut gig, being coaxed out of “retirement” at a friend’s birthday celebration, and even taking on a challenge from the compiler of this set.
1. Royal Seleccion #13: with Simon Nicol, Live in Germany, Swarbrick Archive, (1982) 3.55
2. The Bark Gay Head: Ewan Maccoll, Whaler out of New Bedford, Un-numbered LP, (1961) 2.37
3. Interlude - Pembroke Unique Ensemble: Young Tradition, Galleries, Transatlantic LP TRA 172, (1968), re-released as Sanctuary CD ESMCD 601 1.10
4. Tam Lin: Fairport Convention, Live in Stockholm, (1971), Swarbrick Archive 6.02
5. General Taylor/Mason's Apron: Fairport Convention, University of Chicago, (1970). Swarbrick Archive 7.58
6. Pleasure and Pain: Brian Maxine, Ribbon of Stainless Steel, Columbia LP SCX 6575, (1975). 4.41
7. Frog Up the Pump: with Martin Carthy, Rehearsal Tape, (1977). Swarbrick Archive 3.27
8. When First to this Country: Fairport Convention, Capital Radio Broadcast, Capital Radio, (1976). 2.32
9. Now Be Thankful: 3 Desperate Mortgages, Kenilworth Folk Club, (1976). Swarbrick Archive 3.02
10. Rosie/Pachelbel's Canon: Whippersnapper, Burning Post Club, (1983). Swarbrick Archive 6.05
11. My Little Fiddle: Whippersnapper, Venue uncertain, (1985). Swarbrick Archive 4.23
12. Foolish: Whippersnapper, Třnder Festival, (1987). Swarbrick Archive 5.16
13. Ship in Distress: with Martin Carthy, McCabe's, California, (1990). Swarbrick Archive 5.04
14. Bonny Black Hare: with Martin Carthy, Albert Hole, Bristol, (1993). Swarbrick Archive 5.43
15. Isle of Man set: with Beryl Marriott, Wing Village Hall, (1998). Marriott Family Archive 9.07
16. Sloth: with Simon Nicol, Topic Folk Club, Bradford, (1983). Swarbrick Archive 8.24
CD Four: -'S is for Swarb'
These twenty-one tracks trace Swarb’s amazing and varied career from in-demand sideman to folk legend, from the folk clubs of Birmingham to the Blue Mountains of Australia, from the smallest folk clubs to the largest concert halls. Classics and Rarities…Groups and Duos…Solo work and Sessions…it’s Definitive Comprehensive Essential Swarbrick
1. Bonaparte's Retreat: solo, Swarbrick 2, Transatlantic TRS 118, (1977), now on Sanctuary ESM CD 355: 0.55
2. Rocky Road to Dublin/Drops of Brandy: Ian Campbell Folk Group, This is The Ian Campbell Folk Group, Transatlantic LP TRA 110, (1963), now on Sanctuary ESM CD 357: 2.09
3. The Widow of Westmoreland's Daughter: Bert Lloyd, The Bird in the Bush, Topic 12T 135, (1967), now on Topic TSCD 479: 2.12
4. Earl of Moray: Ian Campbell Folk Group, Highland Songs, Transatlantic EP TRA 146, (1967): 3.27
5. Hen's March Medley: (The Hen’s March Through The Midden/Four-Poster Bed/Swallowtail/Tail Taddle, Villafjord/Rakish Paddy): with Martin Carthy, un-sourced Archive Recording, (1967). Swarbrick Archive: 6.28
6. Father Kelly/Skopje/Sligo Maid: with Martin Carthy and Diz Disley, Rags Reels Airs, Bounty LP BY6030, (1967), then Polydor Special 236 514, now re-released as Topic TSCD 517: 3.39
7. Praties they Grow Small: Lorna Campbell, The Ian Campbell Folk Group with Dave Swarbrick, Music for Pleasure MFP 1349, (1968): 2.46
8. The Liege & Lief Medley: (The Lark In The Morning/Rakish Paddy/Foxhunter's Jig/Toss The Feathers): Fairport Convention, Philadelphia Folk Festival, (1970). Swarbrick Archive: 3.49
9. The Hangman's Reel: Fairport Convention, BBC ‘In Concert’, (26th July 1970), BBC Worldwide: 3.24
10. Hanging Song: Fairport Convention, Fairport Live, Hill /Farnell line-up, (1972). Swarbrick Archive: 5.40
11. Rosie: Fairport Convention, The Manor Sessions, (1974). Swarbrick Archive: 3.17
12. Sheebeg and Sheemore: with Simon Nicol, Chicago, (1981). Swarbrick Archive: 5.51
13. The Gravel Path/Leighton Buzzard Shuffle: ‘Dave Swarbrick & Friends', Cambridge Festival, (1981). Swarbrick Archive: 3.30
14. Loving Hannah: Whippersnapper, BBC ‘Folk on 2’, (1984). BBC Worldwide: 6.03
15. Carthy's March/The Lemon Tree: with Martin Carthy, Carson's, Cincinnati, (1990). Carson's Archive: 4.34
16. The Trip we took over the Mountain: with Martin Carthy and Savourna Stevenson, Swarbrick 50th Birthday Concert, Cooking Vinyl Mash CD 001 (1991). BBC Worldwide: 3.14
17. Bonny Black Hare: solo, BBC Recording, (1994). BBC Worldwide: 3.08
18. The Wives: with Kevin Dempsey, The Basement, (1996). Swarbrick Archive: 3.18
19. Two Magicians: solo, Assembly Hall, (1996). Swarbrick Archive: 4.17
20. Lassies of Neilston: with Alistair Hulett, Red Clydeside, RAT CD 008 (2002): 1.30
21. My Heart's in New South Wales: with Kevin Dempsey & Fairport Convention, Fairfield Halls, London, (2000). Swarbrick Archive: 5.08
Please note!Most CDs have been imported from Europe or Asia. They are not all shrink-wrapped, and I am not going to con you by wrapping them here just to make you think they have been sterilized in America. We guarantee that the CDs and the contents are all brand new and in perfect condition. Whenever I can, I use recycled shipping materials. They may not look as pretty on the outside, but they save money and keep the trash dumps a little bit emptier.